Thursday, December 1, 2022

November into December

Wednesday: Today, I have a lunch date with two good friends. It has been forever since we've been together so we are looking forward to catching up. We had a dusting of snow yesterday and today will be the coldest day of the week. FedEx just delivered an amaryllis bulb. This is an anonymous gift but how fun. I look forward to watching it grow this winter. Surely someone will confess to this kindness. Update: Yes she did. One of the friends I met for lunch, sent me the bulb so I could have flowers in winter. Evidently Breck's forgot to include her gift card. 

I am joining Kat and the Unravelers as we post about knitting and reading. Tuesday evening I finished Micah's mittens. He requested mittens with one inch stripes. Although the photo doesn't show the dark green stripe very well, the mittens came out just as he wanted them. I knit their hats, mittens, and scarves from superwash wool, mostly KnitPicks Swish. These are playing-outdoors mittens in cold but not snowy bitter weather. "Grammy Mittens" work for catching footballs and holding onto handlebars among other things. This family spends lots of time outdoors in all kinds of weather. My daughter's motto is there is no bad weather for being outdoors, just inappropriate clothing. Up next is Jonah's scarf with red, gray, and navy in "the same stripes that are in my mittens." We had a FaceTime chat so he could show me the stripe sequence he has in mind. 


Thursday:  My friends and I enjoyed a leisurely lunch with lots of good conversation. The rest of the day I ran errands and finished some housework. In other knitting news, I worked some on this shawl. I'm hopeful blocking performs its usual magic on the lace/texture portion. Honestly, I might just prefer garter stitch in that section but blocking does work miracles. One way or another I'm close to finishing this shawl. 

I am reading Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher.  It's a sweet old-fashioned story about five unlikely people, each with a past sorrow, who create a family during the winter holidays. I have also just begun The Sentence by Louise Erdrich. This novel is the current selection in the Erdrich-read-along with Mary and friends. As in other novels, Erdrich begins with a distressing event that I imagine will have repercussions for the characters. I am just into the book but am enjoying the word play and Erdrich's humor threaded through a more serious topic.  

So now I bring this two-part post to an end. A female cardinal searches for the last seeds in the feeder outside my window. Warmer temps today mean I will have a nice walk past this small plot of grass. If time allows I hope to finish decking the halls with a few more of our favorite things. Have a good week.


Ravelry Links

Micah's Striped Mittens

Cosmic Girl Shawl

  

8 comments:

  1. I’ve read all of Rosamunde Pilcher’s books, and loved them. Have you read any of Robin Pilcher’s books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are so successful at custom knitting requests! I think that picture book in the background looks intriguing so I might have to take a look at it the next time I'm at the library. (I do miss picture books.) An amaryllis from a secret admirer is nice, but so is one from a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to give Rosamunde Pilcher a try. I hear the Shell Seekers is a very good book too.

    Micah's mittens look very nice. I'm sure he will appreciate them very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Winter Solstice last year and it was a nice break. I might have to read again. I loved The Sentence too. We had a big snow so lots of inside time this week for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice of your friend to gift you an Amaryllis bulb to brighten you winter. Such a kind and thoughtful gift. So glad you had nice lunch visit with friends. I love the mittens you made for Micah. You always read the most interesting sounding books. I hope you have a lovely December.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i might need to re read pilchner novels. I read them such a long time ago. I agree with your daughter, I went for a walk yesterday and it was BRISK. All I thought was I should have had a headband under my warm hat!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those mittens are just awesome... I love the specific instructions! :)

    I am reading Winter Solstice as well and enjoying it tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Micah's mittens are wonderful. I love that your grandchildren tell you exactly what they want! I also like your daughter's motto. I need to remember to pack a headband and mitts for our TX visit - it can get chilly down there too. Wonderful that you could catch up with friends.

    ReplyDelete