Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Simple Pleasures

Hello on this bright December morning. I am watching a tiny tuft of a feather caught on the end of a birch twig outside my window. It has been there for at least a week, this little white feather with gray at the base, fraying a little more each day as the wind blows it to and fro. I took a photo but it's in the shade and doesn't show up against the birch bark. The birds have come and gone from the feeder. My husband is out for coffee with friends so the house is quiet. 

Or perhaps I am wrong about the birds. Now a flicker pokes his beak into the birchbark. Man, what a beak. He looks so large compared to the juncos, finches, nuthatches, and chickadees that are more common in this tree. The neighborhood fox just trotted though the cul-de-sac across the way. Maybe the neighborhood isn't so quiet this morning. 

But this is Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and company so on to the knitting and reading. I started Jonah's scarf three times. He requested a red scarf with gray. When we visited further, he mentioned "the same stripes as the mittens I like." He and his Mom hunted up the mittens and called back so I could see the hat/mitten set he had in mind. First I cast on way too many stitches and then I knit about twenty inches in a broken rib pattern that I use in the kids' hats. I hoped the broken rib would prevent the scarf from rolling but it did not. I did the thing a lot of us have done, I kept knitting even though the voice in my head said and eventually hollered "I don't think this is working." Perhaps blocking would have corrected the problem but the scarf was still too wide for a six year old.

So I asked Jonah if the stripe sequence could be on the diagonal. "Oh sure, no problem." He is an easy going kind of guy. I frogged the scarf and began again with garter stitch on the diagonal. I'm skating along ๐Ÿ˜‰, knitting exclusively on this scarf, and relying on a progress keeper as motivation. When the scarf is finished, all four items can be mailed in time for winter weather.  


The picture book
Red and Lulu is the story of a pair of cardinals who are separated when the tree where they nest becomes the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center. Amidst the beautiful illustrations, Red searches and finds Lulu. When the tree is taken down, Red and Lulu find a new home in Central Park. Several years ago, I gave a copy of this book to Jonah who loves Christmas. He chooses Christmas-themed costumes on Halloween and also requests Christmas-themed birthday parties. Now and then he tells me he has seen Red or Lulu.  


As I read The Sentence by Louise Erdrich, I wonder about significance of the cover design. I'm about a third of the way into the book so maybe it will become clear as I finish the novel. Although the subject matter is never easy, Erdrich is a master at layering themes throughout a story. 

Today I am making a list so I can grocery shop for fresh fruit and veggies to balance to the butter, brown sugar, and chocolate I need for baking. I do like to make and share cookies. Last week the sun caught this small apple. Sometimes the simplest things are the most beautiful. What simple pleasures are you finding this week?




11 comments:

  1. Beautiful apple and very handsome scarf! The Erdrich cover looks like a quilt to me (I have not read any of her books, so not sure that makes sense). I just printed out a new cookie recipe to try. I will not be making the usual assortment I bake since we are leaving town, but a few would be nice. Meanwhile, I keep knitting on socks. Red and Lulu sounds like a good book - I like that your grandson periodically tells you he has seen them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to Wednesdays and reading about what you see outside your window. I am imagining that persistent feather hanging on for a week and the birds that fly by. Thank you for telling me about Red and Lulu. I found the charming Shall I Knit You a Hat? on youtube and a librarian read it to me, so I will also look for Red and Lulu. Those are my simple pleasures, enjoyed with a cup of tea. That is a very handsome scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been enjoying having Giroux sit on my lap in the evening while I knit on the blankets. It's a simple pleasure both of us can enjoy.

    I really like the diagonal stripe on the scarf. It will be a very handsome scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My simple pleasure today was to sink into a lovely warm bath with a book and a cup of coffee rather than taking a quick shower. The Golfer is recovering rapidly and was enjoying the warm outdoor sunshine so I grabbed the opportunity while I could. I do like my bath๐Ÿ˜Š
    I must say your diagonal scarf is very striking - I looked at the link before and my winter charity might receive some of them next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your grandson requested this scarf! What motivation to get it done :) I just started rereading The Sentence and am loving it the second go-round as much as the first. I didn't stop to think about the significance of the cover the first time, but I'll be thinking about it more now that you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow a simple change (making the stripes on the diagonal) makes the scarf look so much more sophisticated! I hope it goes quickly.

    I can't remember if the cover design of The Sentence has a connection to the book, but I do know that it was designed by one of Louise Erdrich's daughters. When I start my reread, I'm going to see if I can figure out the significance of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy listening to the steady rhythm of my two pendulum clocks as they keep track of time. It’s a treat to no longer be stressed with a daily schedule of commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knitting requests from grandchildren might just be the best knitting in the world! I am glad he is easy going, yet still asks for handknits!

    I too contemplated that cover while reading The Sentence. I look forward to your thoughts when you have finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a small person who loves red and books so I will look for that book. And the cover of The Sentence? I read the book when it came out and need to read again but I can’t remember anything that reflects the cover. Interesting thought

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that book on my 'to read' pile, the huge pile!! I love how dedicated you are to making sure the scarf is exactly as they wish it to be. I love the gray stripe!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a sharp looking scarf, Jane. Perfect for Jonah! I really enjoyed The Sentence, but don't remember that the cover art (lovely as it is) is relevant to the story. I often wonder about book covers . . . and how they are selected. Sometimes the covers just don't seem to relate to the content much at all. Enjoy your December days. XO

    ReplyDelete