Friday, April 19, 2024

An April Poem


Hello Gentle Readers. 

Here is a little story about one of my poems. Now and then I walk by a neighborhood park adjacent to a school ground. Most of the park is wide open space where one has a dazzling view of the sky. However, there are several old elms at one end. One of them has a unique structure with a large limb that arcs over the ground or maybe it is two trees grown together. When I see the trees, I wonder how the limbs were formed and how, with children climbing on them, they continue to maintain their integrity. Someday wind, water, and gravity will bring them down.

During the pandemic year and especially in the Spring of lockdown, the school grounds were eerily empty and the park was quiet. At that time many of us walked to get out of the house and also for the solace available in the natural world. One of those April days, I walked by the empty park and noticed a kite hanging in the upper branches of one of the trees. When I returned home, I jotted down my observations and over the next months, I jiggled words and sentences into a poem. Off and on, I worked on it. The poem wouldn't gel so I set it aside. 

This winter I looked at the poem again. When I couldn't find a metaphor, I tried simile. I still don't know if the poem works but regardless I'm sharing it here. As the thoughtful extraordinary poet, Mary Oliver, wrote in her book, Rules for the Dance: A Handbook for Writing and Reading Metrical Verse, "Poetry, imaginatively, takes place within the world. It does not take place on a sheet of paper." (p.67)


At the Edge of an Empty Park, April 25, 2020 *


At the edge of an empty park under

a sky broader than any bank of glass


the wind carries a message

to a broken kite in the elm.


It is like standing on a prairie ridge

listening to grasses rattle


watching an unknown insect chirp

then launch itself over your ankle


which is nothing but a broken limb,

a clump of dung, a bittersweet vine.


Sensation know by hinge of joints

dusted with the breath of a dandelion. 


* copyright Jane A. Wolfe

This poem is part of a collection of poems that reference the Prairie. The photos were taken this week so the kite is long gone but the school grounds were full of the sounds from children at play. 





8 comments:

  1. Oh I love that poem Jane! Perfect for today ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your lovely poem, and the story behind it. That tree is quite interesting and I'm glad it inspired a Prairie poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always so appreciative when you choose to share a poem you've written. I greatly enjoyed reading this one and knowing the story behind it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing it and giving us some background! You are very talented. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jane! Wow! I am soaking in your words full of imagery. Thank you so much for sharing it... especially this month! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful!! I love thinking of you writing it and then putting it away and then pondering some more. You are so very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The poem is lovely, Jane - I don't know prairie or skies that big, but I can hear the wind and feel that insect ... and I'm taken back four years to the emptiness, which did have a certain kind of beauty, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for not only the poem, but your story of its process. Of letting it sit -- and returning. The final stanza took my breath. And...I know those skies. The way some people feel about the ocean, or the mountains, the big sky of the midwest and west -- it's that kind of feel.

    ReplyDelete