Wednesday, July 24, 2024

July Making

Hello Gentle Readers. The week or so of pleasant warm summer weather is giving way to another bout of high heat. So goes the summer in southeast Nebraska. The tomato plants in the raised bed are loaded with fruit and look lush and green. The plants in the other vegetable patch are a bit shaggy. There is some kind of blight going on in that soil. Mind, the plant with cherry tomatoes is producing a bumper crop and I've now canned fifteen pints of bread and butter pickles so that area has produced some vegetables. The butterfly bush is finally blooming and the bumblebees have found the zinnias. 

Wednesday is the day to post about making and/or reading. Kat lost her dog recently and so won't be hosting her link-up.  Pickling and gardening took up time this week so my knitting doesn't look much different than it did last week. I'm still knitting on the pink projects, socks and a summer top. I did get back to my spinning and plied two bobbins of Corriedale fiber into a 208 yard skein. To date, I have spun 783 yards of a light sport weight yarn. I have one more bump of this fiber to spin and then I'll have enough yardage for a project. Awhile back, Kat made a suggestion for a wheel adjustment and it made a big difference. Thank you Kat.  I was having trouble with the singles breaking/pulling apart wile plying but this last skein was a joy to ply. I've enjoyed spinning smaller skeins. The plying feels more manageable to me. 

Because library holds come in at the same time, I continue to listen to and enjoy Threads of Life: A History of the World Through the Eye of a Needle by Clare Hunter. Last night I listened to Hunter's narrative about the AIDS Memorial Quilt. She can tell a story. I am also listening to The Lion Women of Tehran by Marjan Kamali. The story follows the friendship of two girls in Tehran who meet as young girls in the 1950's and subsequently grow up during tumultuous years in Iran. For a while, their paths diverge as one lives in the upper middle class and the other in more impoverished circumstances. They reconnect in high school and university. I'm reading this novel for the story and enjoying the exposure to the rich culture of Iran. This is a cautionary tale about the rights of women and I recommend it. The narrators in both of these audiobooks are excellent.  

I hope July is treating you well. This afternoon I'm off to harvest more basil and see about mending a bedspread. The new ones are expensive and I couldn't find one I liked so I'm going to try mending. Wish me luck. 


7 comments:

  1. I hope the mending goes well! We've had the same one for a long time. I love the skein you spun, such a pretty lavender purple yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hand spun skein is just so pretty. Hoping your mending goes well. Isn't everything more expensive these days (and not made as well either!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen must smell great with all those pickles! I've made about seven qts. of dill pickles and will keep making more as long as we've got cucumbers. Your handspun is gorgeous and I look forward to seeing what your project with it might be. Sending all the good mending vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess cherry tomatoes really love the heat -- my one plant has already given me several cups of tomatoes, and there are plenty more still to ripen! Your spinning looks lovely, and I can't wait to see what you do with what you've spun up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our tomatoes did great through the heat ... and now that it's a bit cooler, they are resting - I hope they aren't done yet! So impressed with your spinning and the knowledge you've acquired about fiber and technique. and it's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully you’ll be able to fix your bedspread to your liking. Make do and mend is coming back into fashion again - did it ever go away? Probably not, just not admitted to.
    What a great purple? colour that skein is, very regal looking. Wonder what you will turn it into? I bet Norah would have some ideas😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cherry tomatoes have lots of fruit, but nothing turning red yet... soon, I imagine, I will have an abundance of them! I have a bedspread that I got from some lovely Amish lades eons ago... it needs new binding and this is a lovely reminder to get that on a list and done! Good luck with your mending!

    ReplyDelete