Hello Gentle Readers. Summer has one more story to tell on this early September day. Through next Monday, high temperatures will remain in the mid-nineties. I walk on the shaded sides of streets, shamelessly zigzagging back and forth in order to stay in the shade. If anyone asks, I'm claiming more steps. On one route, a large rose garden with many varieties blooms a second time. It is glorious. Monday I went out to snip parsley and basil for a pasta salad and found three small (monarch) caterpillars in the parsley. Since the two plants are small, I made do with basil. Our salad was plenty tasty.
Today I link with Kat and the Unravelers. I finished the heel flap and gusset on the second the Bow-Tie socks. I also cast on some new projects. I have admired the "Same As It Ever Was" hats that Sarah knits from the pattern she designed. I gathered some leftover yarns and a pastel mini skeins to knit one from scraps. After completing the increases, I used helical knitting to blend the first two mini skeins. My only regret is, unlike Sarah, I don't have a Ruthie dog as a way to measure progress. I have plenty of yarn to make a nice hat but haven't decided whether I will mix the colors or knit all the pinks on one side and the blues on the other.
I wanted to knit with this batch of handspun yarn. I ripped out my first attempt as the stockinette pattern didn't suit the yarn. Garter stitch at a looser gauge looks better to me. I cast on a favorite, the Rewilding Shawl. Helen Stewart's row by row pattern provides percentage of yarn used at certain points in the project which will be useful as I figure out where to use the yarns. My plan is to use solid colors to create eyelet sections. It's an adventure.
Today is my birthday and so here I am walking into my seventy-fifth year in my walking shorts and faded shirt. (All of the stuff in the background belongs to my neighbors who like that sort of thing.) I am very grateful to be in reasonably good health but that could turn on a dime. In the meantime, I try to savor the ordinary days. My plan is to love deeply, enjoy my family and friends, seek beauty, read thoughtfully, write a bit, and engage with making that sparks joy and peace. I remind myself to focus on what I have and be grateful for those things. Every now and then I need to put my feet up in the middle of the day and so I try to accept this with grace. In the last few months, I've come to realize that energy is equally as precious as time. At this age, every day is a gift to be unwrapped with care.
I think it is quite warm most places in the northern hemisphere. I hope you can stay cool and take care in the heat.



Happy birthday! You look fabulous for 75. I'll be 73 in December so I'm right behind you. It's still very hot here too with no end in sight. I can't get excited about fall until I can open a window again.
ReplyDelete