Hello Gentle Readers. Where did the September days go? Perhaps because we were a week in Connecticut, the days went by more quickly. Here, September delivers warm and rainy days. The zinnias, although bowed down by the rain, continue to bloom brightly. Monday the sun came out so I began fall weeding. After I finished and put my tools in the shed, I stood a short distance from the zinnias and watched the butterflies. The fluttering wings of six monarchs, one swallowtail, and two painted lady butterflies remind me to look for beauty amidst the weeds and raggedy edges.
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit with our daughter, son-in-law, and family. We celebrated two birthdays. Emmett, the oldest is sixteen and Norah, the youngest is eight. We tagged along to football, gymnastics, and diving. Sadly Emmett's baseball game was cancelled due to rain. We attended church where our son-in-law is the Senior Pastor. Kate and I walked around the "Point" adjacent to Long Island Sound so I came home with a small bag of treasures, including shells, rocks, and sea glass. Norah and I made little beaded bracelets for each other. We caught up with Micah and his baseball card collection. Being part of their ordinary days for a week was such fun. We flew home on Thursday before the Nor'easter landed which was a piece of luck. The day before, we were at the beach with Kate and Jonah to watch the wind begin to churn the waves. Jonah, eleven, is the guy who could beach comb and fish all day so he was game to come with us.
Wednesday is the day to link with Kat and the Unravelers. Before we left, I cast on a pair of socks. I didn't make as much progress as I usually do because of the fun. I often wonder if a lace design creates a loose fabric for a sock but that isn't the case with this pattern. The pattern is free and well written. Because the yarn is a neutral tonal, I knit an "eye of partridge" heel flap. I have some holiday gift knits to work on so I'm not sure when I'll finish these.
Since coming home, I mended a quilt that has been waiting for attention. I made progress on this cardigan. Rowan Felted Tweed is one of my favorite yarns and this is the second time I've knit the pattern. The modified saddle shoulder/raglan construction fits me well and I have notes about modifications so the knitting is smooth sailing. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself here.) Once I get past the sleeve separation, I will be able to pick it up in odd moments. The plum colored yarn beside the sweater is destined to be a pair of mitts as a Christmas gift. I generally make two or three smaller knitted gifts for the holidays so it is time get those projects on the needles.
While traveling, I read The Light After the War by Anita Abriel. This historical fiction is the story of two young Hungarian Jewish women in the aftermath of World War II. After being sheltered in rural Austria, they make their way to Naples and eventually to Caracus. Having been friends from childhood, the bond between the two women is heartening. The novel focuses on their recovery as they rebuild their lives. While the writing is average, the story is remarkable because it is based on experiences of the author's grandmother. It is also a tribute to the human spirit of hope and resilience.
As September turns to October, I wish you well with shelter from the storms.




Your description of the butterflies in the weeded zinnias paints an image so lovely I can picture it. I'm glad that your visit with family was so wonderful, especially after your last thwarted attempt. The lace is a beautiful part of those socks and it's good to see what your future knitting plans are. The last photo is simply beautiful!
ReplyDelete