Wednesday, August 31, 2022

August's End

What is that hiding in the tomato/cucumber tray? I picked up the leaf this morning. Even though the temperatures continue to soar into the 90's, the mornings begin to cool off. August 31 is not yet autumn but transition is in the air. The sun is setting earlier each day. A few leaves on the maple trees are withered and brown. I wonder if the trees are so exhausted from heat and drought they are shutting down early to conserve water. A rumpled house finch chick perchs in the tree outside my window. He looks a little bewildered by his world. I know how he feels. 

Anyway, today is Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and other makers. I finished and washed the Forager Sweater. The ends need to be woven in and then I'll post a few photos. Spurred on by that finish, I went back to the summer socks. This week I finished the first sock and cast on the second one. I like to get the second sock on the needles so I don't procrastinate or forget about the project. 

I plied this skein of Targhee Fiber on my spinning wheel. This is the first real skein spun on my wheel. As I said to my husband, it's not the best yarn I've spun but it sure isn't the worst. The singles on the first bobbin were more inconsistent then the second so it is thick and thin yarn. However, the yarn is balanced, that is it hangs in a long loop without twisting around itself. This might be the skein I keep on hand to use as a baseline for spinning skills. 

This week I listened to The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd. Goodreads describes it as a thriller. I wasn't entranced by the story but I listened to the end in order to see how the plot resolved. I enjoyed the descriptions of the New York Public Library and the central question asked by several characters: "What is the purpose of a map?" I found the audio performance overly dramatic and some plot twists predictable. I also had a hard time suspending my beliefs about the value of a map/cartography concept versus the value of human relationships. Writing more would be a spoiler. The story with magical realism kept me entertained while preserving tomatoes in the kitchen and doing some household chores. 

I read Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi and am still thinking about it. It is this month's selection for my local book group. I predict we will have a great discussion about this story of a Ghanian family living in Alabama. All of the main characters are well developed and written but I loved the strong young woman who is the narrator. The tension she feels between science and religion runs throughout the story. Gyasi is a talented writer. She explores racism, addiction, mental illness, and neuroscience by "showing, not telling." The novel wasn't as heavy or as difficult to read as I thought it might be. I found it an excellent book for these August days.  

I'm late today because Norah and I Face-timed this morning. Kate, Norah and I made decaf lattes (hers has a lot of oat milk), clinked our matching Minnie Mouse mugs and read "Where's Spot?" I am happy to report Spot was not in the tomatoes or drinking out of a Minnie Mouse Cup. "No Grammy, he's in the basket" and so we found him. As we hung up, she was off to paint a picture of Spot and I with a smile to carry me through this last day of August. 

What is making you smile today?

Ravelry Link

Summer Socks


9 comments:

  1. Lovely spinning and PLYING! Well done you! My kids simply adored Where's Spot books! I hope you and Nora have a delightful time this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see that harbinger of transition; I'm more than ready for it to happen. That is lovely handspun and I quite like the colors in your socks. I'm glad you and Norah found Spot. This makes me smile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I LOVE that sweet ending to your post! When I read Transcendent Kingdom I remember wondering why science and religion are so often seen as binary choices. sadly, it's the religion that's usually at fault ... or rather the men behind those religions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that your August is ending on a good note, despite the heat. We have it here in Utah too. We are setting triple digit heat records and probably will until next week. I am going to look for that book Transcendent Kingdom. I love the description of your morning Facetime with Kate and Norah. I hope you have a wonderful September. See you again soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, love your facetime with Norah and Kate. And, I'm glad Spot was not in the tomatoes or any of the mugs! Your sock looks great and that will be a fun pair to wear. We are harvesting tomatoes non=stop and now FIGS too! Woo-Hoo. I am so happy that tomorrow is September 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first wheel-spun skein is lovely! I know you are seeing its faults, but to me it's a perfect example of the charm of yarn you've spun yourself (I don't think handspun should be perfect because it's made by hand). We're seeing a lot of leaves starting to change and fall here, and yesterday morning it did feel like fall when I went out for my run! I am sorry to see the daylight diminishing but happy to welcome the cooler temperatures.

    I felt the same way about both books. I thought The Cartographers was entertaining but fairly predictable, and I loved Transcendent Kingdom. I will happily read anything she writes!

    Spot! Spot was a favorite at our house -- my daughter even had a stuffed one that she slept with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few years ago, we experienced a serious drought during a very hot summer here in Michigan, and our trees behaved . . . very oddly come fall. Color change was early, sporadic and unusual, with most of the leaves just shriveling and turning brown. It was a very weird season! I loved Transcendent Kingdom, and agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the book. I started The Cartographers (like you, reading the audio version) and I must admit . . . I set it aside. Your yarn looks just lovely, Jane. And I love that you share lattes and books with your grandchildren! What a wonderful way for you to stay connected with Norah (and all the others) from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love thinking about your and Norah making lattes and reading. And your yarn is so pretty. I read The Cartographers on my Kindle and enjoyed but maybe because I loved the NYPL connections. And Transcendent Kingdom would make a good book group chat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that yarn you spun is gorgeous!! I bet it knits up like a dream. How sweet you facetime I need to start doing weeklies with my grandson so it's just a regular routine.

    ReplyDelete