Wednesday, August 24, 2022

The Home Stretch


The summer has flown by and the end of August is in sight. I walk most mornings. Today I stuck my head out into a still humid morning and the air felt oppressive. I decided to make order in the kitchen. All the surfaces need a good scrub but I am waiting until the tomato harvest slows down. Despite the humidity, the forecast holds no chance of rain. 

I am happy to report I am making good progress on my sweater. No unraveling on this Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and friends. The third try on the first sleeve was the charm and I am almost finished with the second sleeve. I meant to feature the second sleeve but we took the photo quickly as it is warm on the deck. I know some knitters find sleeves tedious but I enjoy them. Once I fiddle around with the first one, the second is, as my grandmother used to say, duck soup. The sleeve circumference is so much smaller than the body. Stitch markers at each decrease keep me knitting, as in I'll knit one more section before I go to bed. I am on the home stretch and I have plenty of yarn for long sleeves. I am glad I bought an extra skein, even though it had three knots and two yards of either a single ply or overspun yarn. I'm sure it happens now and then but still. I cut it apart four times. I'll probably use some of it and the cuts won't make any difference in my project. 

Sunday I finished spinning the second bobbin of the first project on my wheel. In two weeks, I spun the entire braid. Except for a few joins that came apart at the beginning of the first bobbin, the spinning went well. Now they are resting before plying next week. I have one more bobbin and it is tempting to use if for another project. Instead I decided to wait and see what this skein has to teach me. I wonder if part of the single on the first bobbin might not have enough twist. Time will tell.

Today is my brother John's birthday so I am thinking about him and his family. If he was still with us, he would have been up early, walking and exercising his labs, and then gone to work. Later he would have played in the pool with his grandchildren. No doubt he'd have grilled ribs or steaks and served them with Iowa sweetcorn. One of his daughters and/or his wife would have made salad and dessert. He was a good man and we all miss him. As I wrote last September, we are all richer for having known John.

Often I walk by a patch of sunflowers under a street lamp. One evening last week, I could hear the bees. I've never had sunflowers in my yard but I enjoy their bright yellowy gold color against the green. They brighten up these hot August days. 

How are you spending the last days of August?


 

Ravelry Link

Forager Sweater

Spinning: Kansas Prairie


8 comments:

  1. That sweater is wonderful! Great color on you :-). It is sad to remember a loved one who is gone, but happy to remember that you had those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, that sweater is a beautiful color and just lovely on you. You look quite happy with it on the warm deck! Your bobbins also look lovely and I will be interested in seeing the plied yarn. We do miss loved ones, but your memories of John are so detailed and loving that I hope they bring you some happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty sweater Jane. The color is great on you and the fit looks perfect. Almost finished now! I hope that your memories of John bring you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo for the yarn chicken win (feels like you're heading into the final 2 minutes of the 4th quarter with the ball, and a very comfortable lead on the scoreboard ... and yep, it's almost college football season!) In Marc's Jewish tradition, we say "may their memory be a blessing" and that's clearly what John's memories are for you. Love that for all of you. xxoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sweater will be welcome in a few short weeks! The color is beautiful and looks so great on you!

    I think you sharing these sweet memories of your dear brother have made us richer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sweater looks wonderful on you! I hope it will cool off enough to wear it soon-ish. I feel the same way about sleeves, especially the second sleeve. Once I've knit the first one, I know exactly what I'm doing and the second seems to fly.

    If you find that one bobbin of singles looks like it does not have enough twist in it, it is very easy to run it back through the wheel to add a bit more. That's one thing that's certainly a lot faster with a wheel than a spindle.

    I will echo Mary's note -- it sounds very much like memories of your brother are a blessing to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you have such wonderful memories of your brother, Jane. I'm sure it's some comfort to you and your family during this especially difficult reminder-day. XO And I really like your sweater! You're a champ for modeling it in such heat. (And I think the second sleeve is always "duck soup," too. Second socks, too. . . ) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. God Bless John. Your sweater is looking good! Like you I love sleeves, they go so speedily compared to the rest of the sweater making.

    ReplyDelete