Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Christmas in August

Another week in August with hot weather and only a spit of rain. Late Sunday afternoon, a front blew through and the temperature dropped into the 80's bringing a couple of nice summer days. Today we are back to hotter temperatures.  

My knitting hasn't seen much progress this week but I have exciting news. I bought a spinning wheel!

Once I thought I'd never spin fiber into yarn. I thought I didn't need another hobby with another set of supplies. However I admired the handspun yarn made by KatSarah, and Eileen and followed spinning conversations in podcasts. Then the Covid Pandemic kept us close to home. One day when I couldn't plan trips to see my kids, I searched the internet for how-to videos on spindle spinning. I ordered a turkish spindle and BFL fiber from Webs and made some very clunky yarn that looked like rope. I ordered a book about spindle spinning. I discovered fine craftsmanship in handmade spindles. 

I enjoyed spinning singles but struggled with plying. Spindle plying has more than one drawback, not the least is that it takes an extraordinary amount of time to prep the singles. Keeping them from tangling while plying is hard. When you set a spindle in motion and release it, it gradually slows so spinning yarn with consistent twist is another challenge.  

I started reading about spinning wheels but wondered if I was too old to invest in a wheel. I'm seventy years old and realistically how much time do I left? Then my daughter quietly suggested, "I'd say your time is valuable."  She is very wise. Well yes, I am seventy and that is exactly why I should not be spending hours winding plying balls. (I can rationalize with the best.) I have always held that my time is valuable so I'm not sure why I didn't apply that to spinning. My shoulder joint is also worth preserving.

This spring and summer I took two lessons, read about wheels, and tried wheels by several different makers. Two weeks ago, my husband and I drove to Lawrence, Kansas and The Yarn Barn. I was in that shop during my graduate school days (1976 - 1977) in KU so it was rather fitting to return. They carry all kinds of wheels and willingly spent a good amount of time with me. I settled on a Lendstrom Double Treadle Wheel. We bought it late in the afternoon.  She's a beauty. 

I spun one batch of fiber on the wheel and threw it away. I know they say to keep it as a record but I have my first wheel spun yarn from earlier in the summer. Sunday I started on a commercial braid I bought in Lawrence. I'm working on the first bobbin and it's going well. I still enjoy spinning a single with a spindle but the ease of a wheel is wonderful.

I wanted to share my news, so even though this isn't my usual post, I'm linking with Kat and crew. As far as reading, we listened to the abridged version of Hamilton by Ron Chernow both on the Minnesota road trip and the much shorter drive to Lawrence. I rarely choose an abridged version but this one was thirteen hours instead of thirty. It was enough time to get the gist of Chernow's biography. It's interesting to me, that today's political issues are similar to  those during Hamilton's life. Perhaps the biggest difference is the men in power aren't settling grudges with duels. The biography is well researched and reflects a traditional historical view of the time of Hamilton's life. 

Take care. Keep cool and enjoy the making and reading. In case you need a reminder, your time is valuable.  



7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your wheel! I also bought a Lendrum DT early on in my spinning career, and I am still spinning on it, so I think you will really enjoy it. It certainly looks like you are getting on well with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you, Jane! You have come a long way with your spindle spinning and you certainly deserve that lovely wheel no matter what your age might be. Your daughter is very wise and your time is valuable. Thank you for reminding the rest of us, and I wish you many happy hours at your wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Yay for you Jane! What an excellent purchase and one I think you will love! Bravo my friend... happy spinning to you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you!!! You will be fantastic at spinning since you already are :) can't wait to see what you create with your new wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such exciting news!!! I'm amazed (because I'm clueless about spinning) at what you have accomplished so far. Congratulations on your beautiful new wheel. Here's wishing you many happy hours spinning away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. !!! very cool, Jane - Merry Christmas (in August!)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! I have had moments of wanting to spin over the last few years but I think I will stick with knitting and quilting. And what a wise daughter. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete