Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Knitting Along

I am a little late to this blog post. Today's gray cold morning brings out my hibernation instincts, "my inner bear" as a friend says. I slept later than I intended, completed the morning routine, and filled the bird feeders. After some beautiful days that almost felt like Spring, the temperature dropped and the birds are hungry. My local book group meets this evening and I am looking forward to discussing Rules of Civility with friends. 

I also look forward to Wednesdays with Kat and the Unravelers. Even though I knit only on projects I enjoy, most of my sweaters become a bit of a slog. I want to wear this sweater so I keep knitting. The good news is the first sleeve is finished and the second one is on the needles. The first sleeve was a little fiddly as I adjusted for length and circumference. If I count accurately, the second one should be smooth sailing. That bad news is the ribbing on the bottom wants to flip and the backs rides up when I try on the sweater. My plan is to finish the darn thing and wet block it to see how it fits with the neck ribbing and two sleeves. I may need to do something with the bottom of the sweater body but it seems like finishing it before deciding is the best path. I do want to be smarter than the sweater or the yarn. 

I have been spinning. I forgot to take a photo of this BFL/Silk fiber before I began but I have these little nests left to spin. I ordered two braids of the same colorway from Banshee Fiber Arts/Etsy. Before I began, I pulled them apart both vertically and horizontally in an effort to spread colors more evenly though two skeins. When the braids arrived, I wasn't sure I liked the colors but then as I spun the singles, I began to enjoy the soft colors. I removed a few bits of bright yellow from one braid that seemed out of place. I hope I don't have yarn that looks like mud when I'm finished. If I do, I've learned something more about color. 

As for reading, I am finished with the books I mentioned last week. I almost gave up on the audio version of Fight Night by Miriam Toews but listened to the end. Somewhere in the middle of the story, I found all the expletives a bit tedious. I'm sure Toews was painting a picture of a somewhat moody, rebellious teenager who lived in a nontraditional family. I don't mind that kind of language if it adds to the story or character development but at one point it seemed like overkill. Your opinion may be different from mine. The grandmother was an endearing character as she navigated the woes of old age and infirmity and the relationship between the grandmother and granddaughter was very sweet. I could just see the granddaughter rolling her eyes at her mother and grandmother. The author and perhaps her daughter read the book and did a nice job. I highly recommend The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich. It is a beautifully written story of a group of Native Americans caught in a Congressional resolution affecting tribal rights in the 1950's. The story is one of hope, despair, and resilience. The characters are very human and perhaps even more so because Thomas, the night watchman, is based on Erdrich's grandfather and his attempts to combat injustice. The novel is another view of the 1950's that were not so halcyon for many people.  

Here we are mid-way though February with the hours of daylight increasing. Why is it the shortest month sometimes feels like the longest? Gray and cold as the days may be, the cardinals are brilliant red, the jays all kinds of frosty blues, and the chickadees crisp in their black and white. What's outside your window today? 

Home crafted votive candles from my Grandchildren



13 comments:

  1. The home crafted votive candles are sweet. Your spinning looks good. I marvel at folks who can knit and change a pattern to suit themselves. I am not that experienced. I loved Rules of Civility - hoping you have a lively discussion tonight. Our birds seem to be feeding constantly - we are (or rather they are) going through sunflower seeds and suet cakes at a rapid rate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're currently enjoying the warm weather that you had. I've made pasta salad and will grill sausages on the grill for dinner tonight. I know it's just a "false spring" but it's still enjoyable. I think your spinning is producing some lovely yarn. I really enjoyed Fight Night. I don't know if I ignored the expletives or just enjoyed the relationships between the family members, but I promptly started another Miriam Toews book. Enjoy those sweet votives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your dedication to the sweater. You are definitely smarter than the yarn or sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thoughtful gift from your grandchildren. I love the yarn you are spinning. That book Fight Night sounds interesting. I looked it up on Goodreads. I may see if the library has it. I am trying to use the library a lot more. As always, thanks for the very interesting reading suggestions. It is bitter cold here. Today, my husband said that this bitter cold and wind remind him of living in Nebraska. Yes, as you know, Nebraska can get cold. I hope you enjoy the rest of this week and your weekend. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww. The little votives are beautiful.

    I think the colors of your spun fiber is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your discussion about Rules of Civility was a good one. I enjoyed that book but definitely loved A Gentleman in Moscow much more! And I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Night Watchman and am riveted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outside my window today, a light snow fell and prompted the maintenance crew to shovel one last time before going home for the day. I hope you can tame the flip of the ribbing on your pretty sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same experience with sweaters. Even when I very much enjoy them and want them, there always seems to be a point in every sweater where finishing becomes a slog. But you are very close to the end, and the sleeve is only going to get faster as you decrease. I hope blocking helps with the flipping hem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely candleholders, Jane! Just charming and festive . . . and especially wonderful because they're from the hands of your grandchildren. You have mentioned to me (as I slog away on my own sweater) . . . that you feel like every sweater becomes a slog at some point. And I think it's very true! Knit on through the slog, I say! You are so close to being finished. Over the years, I have found that the neck ribbing is key to the fit of the whole sweater, so I tend to do it before I do any of the other ribbing -- and even before the sleeves. (When possible; it's not always possible.) I also block at various points in the knitting (needles and all), especially if I've got something going on that I'm . . . curious . . . about. (Like your bottom ribbing.) Hang in there, Jane! You're nearly finished! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those votives are lovely... what a delightful gift! But your spinning and your sweater... gorgeous! We had "summer" yesterday so today's "spring" feels downright miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you had a good discussion about Rules of Civility (certainly there is MUCH to discuss ... with the right group of folks!) and I'm looking forward to our Night Watchman discussion next week. Your new spinning is so pretty! The colors really sing on that bobbin and I think you're going to have a beautiful yarn. (also, good luck with the blocking ... it sure seems like you did the right things, so surely a good soak and a lay flat to dry will be just the thing to make it perfect?!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colour of the yarn you spun. It must be very satisfying to spin then knit your own yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweaters are such a commitment and that slog feeling is short and then you are near the end! I'm okay with February but March is a long month for me as I itch for spring jackets and winter likes to linger. Love the present you received!

    ReplyDelete