Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Snowman Gear

Hello gentle readers. Last Thursday nine inches of snow fell on our neighborhood. Other parts of the city had less but the moisture was most welcome. Saturday, under bright blue skies, the days began to warm to the forties and then low fifties by Monday and Tuesday. As I walked, I watched the snow melt and listened to the enthusiastic voices of birds. There was a little Spring in the air. Today the temperature dropped and the forecast is for wintry mix. Such is February that feels like March. A pair of white breasted nuthatches climbs up and down the birch on this gray day. They crack open safflower seeds by poking them into the bark and working away with their beaks. Four cardinals perch in the ornamental pear on the parkway. 

Here we are on Unraveled Wednesday with Kat and company. I finished this scarf from spindle spun BFL with a little bit of Falkland for interest and length. Knitting with handspun is a delight. The yarn has a little extra bounce and energy. The pattern was a perfect match for the variegated quality of the handspun. It's not a long long scarf but it is a nice addition to my "snowman" gear. 

Here's the snowman story. A few weeks ago I was out walking and met my neighbor walking his children home from school. The fifth grader told me I looked like a snowman. Evidently her teacher instructed the class to think and dress like a snowman. That is, they needed to wear hats, mittens, and scarves in order to go out for recess. I can just imagine the teacher doing everything in her power to get kids out for even a few minutes of fresh air. My colorful walking gear, including colorwork mittens, cowl, hat, striped scarf in mismatched colors reminded her of her teacher's request. Her Dad was slightly embarrassed but I just laughed and remarked "I like to be warm and I like to wear the things I knit." I always wondered if I was entertaining the neighborhood and now I know. 

The infamous gray sweater is drying on the blocking mat. It may require some tweaking. Time will tell. I cast on a child's hat to donate but decided it was too scratchy and ripped it out. In the meantime, I have very little on my needles so I looked through the "up next" stash bin and pulled out a bag of fingering weight leftovers. I cast on a pair of scrappy socks and am using the clasp-weft join to create stripes. I am ready for a smaller project. 

I'm listening to The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich.  This novel focuses on the culture of German immigrants in North Dakota. I chose this book because I finished The Night Watchman featuring a character modeled after one of Erdrich's grandfathers. Erdrich also has some German American heritage and I was curious to read her story about that culture. She narrates the audiobook so subtle nuances come through in her voice. I am enjoying it.

A Booklover's Guide To New York by Cleo Le-Tan is a reference/guidebook and was a birthday gift from my daughter. The book details literary points of interest, museums with literary connections, and independent bookstores in NYC. It is a beautiful book, illustrated with photos and drawings. Last time Kate and I were in NYC for a day, we visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art and then used the book to find a nearby independent bookstore, The Corner Bookstore. It is a delightful little bookshop. Even if you aren't visiting the city, the book is great armchair traveling. I've enjoyed dipping into it this winter. 

Here's hoping our days for snowman gear are waning. Next Wednesday will be March 1. Until then, I wish you a good week. 

Last Thursday morning

Ravelry Links

Scrappy Socks

Handspun Scarf - Ribbie Taiyo Scarf pattern

12 comments:

  1. I didn't realize the yarn you used for the scarf was spindle spun! I have yet to knit any yarn that I've spun on a spindle, so you've surpassed me in that respect.

    This month has certainly had its surprises with regard to the weather. Yesterday when I went for a walk in the late afternoon, the sun was warm on my face and I spotted some daffodils about ready to bloom. This morning we started with wintry mix changing to rain. Tomorrow we may break a high temperature record (predicted to be 72). Then Friday we'll be back in the 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our roller coaster weather continues as well. I do like your snowman's story and the fact that you do entertain your neighbors! The colors you'll pulled for your new socks are so pretty (soft pastel colors make me think Spring and Easter) and your scarf is just fabulous! Congratulations on knitting from spindle spun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another person here from the rollercoaster east, with 35 and sleet today, 64 tomorrow, but back to 34 on Friday. I really admire your spindle spun scarf and like the snowman story. Those scrappy socks say "spring" to me despite all of your snow. Stay warm with those spring colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Entertaining the neighbors isn't the worst thing you can be doing. LOL Now AGGRAVATING the neighbors? THAT would be bad.

    I don't have enough knitwear to look like a proper snowman. I look like a needy snowman. I really need to knit myself a hat and mittens that fit. My last hat keep creeping up my hair and my mittens were way too big, and therefore, not at all warming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My snowman gear will probably be worn until early to mid-May. It’s snowing and blowing today: wind chills are bitter cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I love the color of the scarf - beautiful work. We have over a foot of snow on the ground here today and it is still coming down! School went to remote learning, so I have been home and hunkered down in the house all day. Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’ve given me something to ‘look up’ …..I’ve no idea what a ‘ clasp-weft join to create stripes’ is so am interested to find out.
    The pink colour of your scarf seems to have a rosier shade each time you post a photograph, such a warm cosy look - to keep you warm in your decidedly colder weather than ours. Another T-shirt and shorts 32c/89f day here in Melbourne, long may it last!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That snow! Gah! But yay for an opportunity to wear your handspun scarf! It is lovely and looks squishy and warm!
    Master Butcher Singing Club is one of my all time favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new scarf is so pretty. I saw the Master Butcher Singing Club on the library shelf recently and that book on literary NYC is going on my list too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colour of your scarf, I bet you loved it with that snow.. I like to find bookshops in new to me towns. When we visited New York my son and I went to the Five Points because we lovedThe Gangs of New York. I would love to go back one day. Still regret not climbing the Empire State Building.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your scarf...colors are so pretty. I did not know what clasp-weft join was either so I looked it up. Very easy concept. Thanks for mentioning. Can't wait to see how the scrapy socks come along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like to wear BRIGHT things when I walk Lucy ... and I'm 100% positive the neighbors notice ;-) Master Butcher Singing Club is still on my TBR - maybe I'll see if I can find the audio. I do love when Erdrich narrates because the humor really shines through.

    ReplyDelete