Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Still Summer

Hello Gentle Readers. Even though I begin this post with wool socks, the last ten or so days have been very summery as in extremely hot and dry. Rain is forecast for late this Tuesday evening. Hopefully cooler days will follow. One tomato plant still grows giving us a few ripe tomatoes. Down the street, a neighbor has a glorious patch of sunflowers between the street and the sidewalk. On the other side of that driveway, morning glories twine over and around catmint and the bees hum. I love that little bit of wildness.


On Wednesday I will link with 
Kat and the Unravelers. The Beach Glass socks are finished. I enjoyed the yarn and the little bow-tie design down the side of the leg. This week, I continued knitting on the "Same As it Ever Was" hat. I am using helical knitting to blend yarns from a mini skein set. It's a great project for spare moments of knitting. 

Once I knit a colorwork yoke sweater with Rowan Felted Tweed. Although I loved the fabric, every time I put on the sweater, I took it off. The fit was wonky. Earlier in the year I reclaimed and washed the yarn. Since I used the same yarn base in the Don't Ask cardigan and it fits well, I cast on another one with the reclaimed yarn. I completed the neck shaping and am happily increasing the modified saddle shoulder portion. I don't remember ever successfully knitting with reclaimed sweater yarn but I'm pleased with this project.


This week I needed a light read so I picked up The Queens of Crime by Marie Benedict. Benedict writes historical fiction about remarkable women whose contributions are often overlooked. The narrator of this story, set in 1930, is mystery writer Dorothy L. Sayers. Sayers' cohorts include four other female mystery writers, Agatha Christie, Nagaio Marsh, Margery Allingham, and Baroness Emma Orczy. During a humorous but maddening episode, Sayers and Christie elbow the queens' way into a mostly male club of detective writers. While I noted a few instances of too-modern vocabulary, I enjoyed the friendship forged between the women as they set out to become appreciated in the Club by solving a real-life murder. Soon, setting the record straight about the deaths of two young women who were ill-used by powerful men and maligned by the press, becomes their higher purpose. My daughter thought I'd enjoy reading this book and sent me her copy. My mother was an avid reader, including mysteries. I'm sure she read Christie and Sayers so this book is a nice connection for us. Your mileage may vary, but I enjoyed the novel. 

As summer winds down, I wish you a good week with peaceful making and interesting reading. 


Ravelry Links

Bowtie Beach Glass Socks

Same As It Ever Was Hat

Don't Ask Cardigan

  


4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to reclaim that yarn. I love sunflowers. There is a garden on the trail where we ride that has the most beautiful patch of sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having a bit of a summer blast here as well. But despite the temperatures, things are beginning to "look" like a new season is moving in around the edges. Like clockwork, the ornamental grasses are stunning and the sedum is exceptionally brilliant this September! Those socks are gorgeous and your sweater start is brilliant! I really like the sweater I have from Felted Tweed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The calm colors in all your projects are very welcome to see on this blistering hot, sunny day. I'm tempted to pull all the shades and live the vampire life until this summer weather is over. I don't think I've been out in days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got a few hot days here after a series of really pleasant days, but I'm ready for much cooler weather. If only I was in charge of that (or really in charge of anything). Your socks are really lovely, and so is the hat. I'm glad the reclaimed yarn is working nicely and hope that your end of summer proceeds peacefully.

    ReplyDelete